Christmas conjures up visions of red, green, mint, trees and wreaths to name just a few. Like many people, for me it is the time of serious baking. I get bored doing the same old thing every year, so I decided to make these cookies. York Mint Red Velvet Wreaths are a simple red velvet cookie that is baked and cooled. Then I used a York peppermint patty pushed into the still soft dough until the cookie pushed up and hugged it securely. A thick layer of white filling with mini chocolate chips finished it off. You can also use green and red candies for the bulbs, or just gold edible glitter or sprinkles! Whatever you choose you will end up with a festive brightly colored moist cookie with a very holiday flavor. Enjoy! For more cookies recipes see Ultimate Cookie Bloopers
York Mint Red Velvet Wreaths
York Mint Red Velvet Wreaths are a simple red velvet cookie that is baked and cooled and decorated as a wreath.
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tbl. cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 7 Tbl. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 Tbl. shortening
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbl. red food coloring
- 36 York Peppermint Patties
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- 1 tube Betty Crocker Cookie Filling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, shortening and sugar until very pale and light and fluffy; about 4 minutes. Add the egg and mix well. Add the vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring and mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Roll about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of dough into a ball and press one peppermint patty into dough allowing edges to hug the mint.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, they will look underdone.
- Once cool, rim around the edge of the cokies with filling cream.
- Place mini chocolate chips in the cream. Let firm up and serve.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 63 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.