Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Ultimate
The Ultimate Crock Pot Recipe. This ain't your Grandma's Mashed Potatoes #crockpot #potatoes
Prep Time15 mins
Slow Cooker5 hrs
Total Time15 mins
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 3/4 Cup Water Cold
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick salted butter)
- 11/2 teaspoons coarse sea or kosher salt
- 11/2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives or herbs of choice
Ultimate Mashed Potatoes:
Peel the potatoes and give them a good rinse under running water. Cut them into quarters, place them in the slow cooker and cover them with the 3/4 cups cold water. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
Just before you are ready to serve, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan pour the cream and add the cream cheese, butter, salt and peppercorns. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, whisking occasionally, until the cream bubbles, the cheese softens and becomes smooth and the butter melts, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
When ready to serve, use a potato masher and fluff them very thoroughly with a fork when completely mashed. Pour the pepper-speckled cream over the potatoes and sprinkle with the chives. Fold together with a spatula just until the liquid is incorporated. Don’t overmix it. Serve while hot.
Here are a few flavor options:
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves just before you fold the liquid into the potatoes.
- As you boil the potatoes, add 3 or 4 large garlic cloves and a small onion, coarsely chopped. Rice them all together for an earthy base.
- Toast 3 or 4 dried red chiles (such as chile de arbol; stems discarded and seeds left intact) and a tablespoon of coriander seeds in a tablespoon of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the chiles blacken slightly and the coriander seeds are reddish brown, 2 to 3 minutes, transfer them, oil and all, to a mortar and pound the mix to blend. Fold this into the cream as it simmers instead of the peppercorns.
- Toast a jalapeño or two over an open flame, holding them with tongs and turning them around to blister the skin on all sides. Discard the stems and add the chiles to the potatoes as they boil. Do not discard the seeds from the jalapeños; mashed potatoes are an excellent medium for modulating the heat of the capsaicin in the chiles. Rice the potatoes and chiles together for a pleasant green color and some smoky heat.
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sugar: 6g