What better way to have your lasagna and still keep it meatless for those meat free days? Why this veggie lasagna of course. You can even substitute the noodles for vegetable or gluten free brands. The White sauce takes this dish up yet another level from your grandma’s recipe. Easy to put together and easy to serve, yet your family will think you spent all day in the kitchen. Don’t!! Mangia!!
Vegetable Lasagna with White Sauce
Yield 8 Slices
Easy to put together and easy to serve, yet your family will think you spent all day in the kitchen. Don’t!! Mangia!!
- 2 small zucchini (about 8 oz. each)
- 1/2 bunch broccoli
- 1 bunch spinach leaves (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese (can be part skim)
- 2 eggs
- 12 veggie lasagna noodles or gluten free
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (slices)
- Dice zucchini. Coarsely chop broccoli and spinach.
- In a nonstick 12 -inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter (or margarine), cook zucchini, broccoli, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add Spinach and toss until wilted. remove skillet from heat.
- In medium bowl, with fork, mix ricotta and eggs; set aside.
- Prepare lasagna noodles as label directs. Drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter). Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- In 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish, layer half of the prepared lasagna noodles, half of the ricotta mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, and half of the mozzarella. Top with half of the sauce, then with the remaining noodles, ricotta, and vegetable mixture. Spoon remaining sauce over vegetable layer; arrange remaining mozzarella on top.
- Bake lasagna 40 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let lasagna stand 10 minutes for easier serving.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 26.6 g
Saturated Fat 15.7 g
Cholesterol 129 mg
Sodium 586 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39 g
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 25 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.