Cinnamon, bourbon vanilla beans and coffee. Breakfast or Dessert? Decide for yourself when you create this dish for the special persons in your life. This bread pudding casserole cooks in just 40 minutes. And while you wait you can prepare the sauce and syrup. Enough to feed an army! Enjoy.
Vanilla Bean Bread Pudding with Coffee Syrup
- 6-7 cups challah bread
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins soaked overnight in bourbon if possible
- 3 TBS butter melted
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C)
- Put the bread into a large bowl, pour the milk over and crush the bread with your hands until it is well mixed and all the milk is absorbed.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs well, then add the sugar, vanilla, allspice and cinnamon and mix well.
- Gently mix this into the bread mixture, then stir in the raisins.
- Pour the butter into the bottom of a casserole dish and coat well the bottom and sides.
- Pour in the bread mixture, pack it lightly and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the edges brown and pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Put the milk in a medium saucepan, cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the milk.
- Put the pan over medium heat and bring almost to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Put a larger pan half full of water to boil on the stove for a bain marie.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the egg yolks, stirring vigorously so they don’t cook – the mixture should be foamy.
- Pour this mixture into a metal mixing bowl, then set this bowl above the pot of boiling water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the foam disappears and the sauce begins to stick to the spoon.
- Pour the sauce into a room temperature container and allow to rest until cool, then refrigerate until using it.
- Prep 10 min cook 15 min 1 quart
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, gently stir together the water and sugars.
- Cook until mixture becomes thick and syrupy (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Allow to cool and stir in vanilla extract.
- Add coffee and mix.
- Fill jar with cooled mixture.
- Add to dish as it is served.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.