Tuna Steak With Tomato Lime Sauce ~This is a dish to exploit the meatiness and sweet flavour of tuna. Best made if you have a ribbed iron grilling pan – but you can still do it if you don’t have one. In this straightforward recipe, all the flavours help each other along, the colours are nice and there are some zingy sweet-sour notes played by the vinegar, lime and sugar.
Tuna Steak With Tomato Lime Sauce
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 firm dark green lime grated rind (no pith) and 2tsp juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 firm ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 6 oz. tuna steaks
- 16 basil leaves torn up
- Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan and soften the shallots in it for 5 minutes. . Add the vinegar, lime rind, lime juice and sugar. Cook a further 15 minutes, uncover and let the liquid evaporate. This should only take 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook under the lid for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season lightly with salt. You can make this ahead up to this point.
- Meanwhile, heat the grilling pan to very hot. Brush the steaks with some of the remaining oil, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a couple of minutes each side, depending on how thick they are. This would be sufficient for a thickness of 3/4 inch. Tuna is much better cooked rare, like (beef) steak.
- Have the sauce very hot and stir in the basil leaves. Place a tuna steak on each of 4 plates and pour the sauce around, finishing off with the remaining olive oil.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.