This pie is a combination of apple, cranberries and walnuts. While this pie is a good choice anytime, I like to make this for religious holidays to keep it as special treat. The combination of fruits and nuts satisfies the craving for a more traditional pie while providing a unique blend of flavors and textures. I like to use pie dough from the dairy aisle, but a made from scratch crust recipe can be found below. My crusts are so awful my family scoops the filling out and leaves the crust behind. Enjoy!
The combination of fruits and nuts satisfies your cravings. #pie #apple #cranberry #walnuts
- Two Crust Pie Shell (I used one from the dairy case)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (5- 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Sugar or coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Prepare and roll out Two Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. In a large bowl combine the apples, cranberries (reserving 1 cranberry for the garnish) and 1/2 cup walnuts. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the fruit. Toss to combine. Spoon mixture into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
- Cut slits in remaining pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling. Trim both overhangs to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crusts under and flute the edges. Lightly brush pastry with a little milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut a slit in center of pastry; place the 1 reserved cranberry in slit. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon walnuts around the cranberry. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Place pie plate on middle shelf in oven; place foil-lined baking sheet on lower rack beneath pie. Bake in a 325 degrees F. oven for 1 hour. Remove foil. Bake 30 to 45 minutes more or until fruit is tender, filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.
NutritionServings Per Recipe 8, Monounsaturated fat (g) 9, Potassium (mg) 216, calcium (mg) 40, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 591, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 133, Niacin (mg) 4, cal. (kcal) 683, iron (mg) 5, pro. (g) 8, carb. (g) 91, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 33, sugar (g) 36, fiber (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 7, Thiamin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 80, sat. fat (g) 15, vit. C (mg) 7, vit. A (IU) 680©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.