Sugarfree Magic Shell ~Finding sugar free dessert options for diabetics that actually taste good, can be a huge problem. Also, a diabetic child can often feel left out of the fun alot when it comes to things like Sundae toppings. Making your own Magic Shell is really easy and inexpensive. This great recipe can be made sugar free or regular. There are several options for the “oil’ component. Coconut oil (which is sold as a solid, like shortening and is at the grocery store next to the shortening) gives it a more traditional Magic Shell taste. I used margarine which I had on hand, and other people love to use peanut butter but that will not be sugar free.
This Caramel Topping goes well in combination with this magic shell.
Sugarfree Magic Shell
- 1 1/4 cups Chocolate Chips either regular or sugarfree
- 1/2 cup of one of the following oils: coconut oil margarine, or peanut butter
- Heat both the chocolate chips and the oil ingredient in a microwave safe dish for approximately 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir till smooth. It will be runny like a chocolate sauce.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. A recycled ketchup bottle is perfect for this!
- To use after refrigerating, open cap of bottle, reheat for approximately 30 seconds, gently shake to blend. If not completely melted, heat again but only at 15 second intervals till melted. Pour onto ice cream and let the magic happen!