Are you one of the many moms that let your kids help make the gift tin cookies? I had never made them, but Jo has made these sugar cutout cookies the last two years. So I gathered up as many iced, sprinkled and sugared cookie images I could find and bought what we needed. Great! The cookies bake in 7 minutes so I allowed a half hour to mix, bake and create 6 dozen cookies. Ummmm……NO! It took me 2 hours to figure out how to cut them out and get them on the pan and still resemble the cookie cutter. Another two hours to get 40 cookies baked with the dough that stayed on our work surface. An hour to sprinkle sugar on them. Ever tell a 6 year old to just go and shake the sugar on the pans? WRONG instructions. Then that kind, loving, cherub like face looked up at me and said, ” Grandma, are you ready for directions yet?” We packed up the cookies and 90 minutes later I had the kitchen back to normal. I am NEVER making decorated cookies again!! Oh yes, and how was your day?
Sugar Cookie Cutouts For Kids
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Betty Crocker™ Decor Selects candy sprinkles nonpareils or colored sugars, if desired
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, the butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond extract and egg until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured, cloth covered surface, roll each half of dough 3/16 inch thick. Cut into assorted shapes with cookie cutters, or cut around patterns traced from storybook illustrations. If cookies are to be hung as decorations, make a hole in each 1/4 inch from top with end of plastic straw. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Tint with food color if desired. Frost and decorate cookies as desired with frosting and colored sugars.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.