Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes ~These delicious cupcakes were the winner of the Gold Medal Flour contest in 2010. My parents had a large garden in our backyard as we were growing up. My mom had a whole fence line of beautiful climbing rosebushes. Dad grew rhubarb, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, popcorn, cucumbers, and carrots just to name a few. He even had a section of mint. I remember sneaking from his garden, just to chew on all the fresh goodies. Mom canned tomatoes for her delicious tomato sauce and was always making rhubarb pies. Oh, the memories!
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook strawberries, rhubarb, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon butter, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to small bowl. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups. In small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder and salt; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons strawberry mixture for frosting. In another small bowl, stir together remaining strawberry mixture, 1/3 cup milk and the vanilla.
- In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup softened butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat until blended. Add half the flour mixture then half of the strawberry mixture, beating well after each addition. Repeat with remaining flour and strawberry mixtures. (Batter will be thick.) Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon softened butter and the reserved 2 tablespoons strawberry mixture with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and enough milk until frosting is of desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.