Strawberry Mousse Filled Chocolate Cake ~A cake so easy to make that it will make your guests think you slaved all say in the kitchen. So delicious they will ask for seconds!
- ¼ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1⅛ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ cup milk
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed
- juice from ¼ lemon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 cup chocolate, shaved
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour one 9 inch round pan. In a small pan melt the butter or margarine with the unsweetened chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cream together the sugar and the eggs. Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs beating well. Add 1 cup warm and blend well. Mixture will be very liquidy.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture and blend well.stir the milk into the chocolate batter.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Slice cake horizontally in half.
- For the mousse:
- In a food processor, puree strawberries with lemon juice and sugar.
- In a mixing bowl beat cream until it is stiff.
- In another mixing bowl beat egg whites with salt until stiff. fold egg whites into cream mixture. divide cream mixture in half and mix berries into half to form the filling.
- To serve:
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate then top with strawberry mousse and top cake layer. cover top with a smooth layer of white mousse then garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and maraschino cherries.
Link no longer valid