This may surprise you, but the standard, easy angel food cake recipe is naturally dairy-free and gluten-free to boot! It uses loads of egg whites for all of the moisture, so no milk, sour cream, or heavy cream is required! The topping however isn’t dairy free. But the family will love this light dessert with any fresh fruit you add. The topping is is the best part though with this secret ingredient. Decorate your cake in any fashion you wish. Something for all occasions. The recipe to make your own Gluten Free Angel Cake mix is here.
If you have never made an angel food cake before I have a few tips. The recipe calls to mix in a large metal pan. They mean it! Even though the directions call for you beat the batter only 1 1/2 minutes, the egg whites make this cake almost rise out of the bowl. Using a whip allows the air to fill the batter helping to make it light. So don’t use beaters.
Once ready for the oven you get another surprise. It will quickly rise over the pan a good 4 inches. But don’t worry since it will not overflow and soon settle back down to normal. I used a lasagna pan here to feed more than the normal rectangular size. If you use the rectangular pan just cut the topping in half. The baking time of 30-35 minutes will not change.
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- 1 16 ounce box angel food cake mix
- 1 3 ounce box strawberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 3.3 ounce boxes white chocolate instant pudding
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 12 ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Do not grease 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
- Cool completely, at least 1 hour. Using a fork, pierce cake in rows about 1/2-inch apart. When the fork becomes sticky, dip tines in water to clean (typically at the end of each row).
- Mix angel food cake mix according to package instructions (the one I used only required water). Pour into ungreased pan and bake until firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. If the center still jiggles, bake it 5 minutes longer.
- Pour Jello into a medium bowl and whisk in boiling water. When Jello is dissolved, stir in cold water. Drizzle over the entire surface of cake. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, or in a standing mixer fit with the whisk attachment, combine pudding and milk until well blended. Gently fold in whipped topping.
- This high-rising, flavorful cake is perfect topped with strawberries and whipped cream. It's so tender and light, no one will suspect it's gluten-free!
- For more patriotic holiday recipes check out this Patriotic
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Adapted from Meggan at Culinary Hill. Please visit her blog for more delicious ideas! She decorated for the holiday! This is her cake, below.