I have been getting ready for our annual vacation to the Atlantic. Shopping for clothes, sandals, little luggage extras and beach accessories are finally done. But all this preparation has me craving seafood and hush puppies. I have never been one to deny a craving of any kind and this seafood kick isn’t going to change that. This summer salad certainly qualifies as a craving quencher. The spinach, crab cake and shrimp are not just delicious but are healthy too! This is a bonus as gaining weight while on vacation is expected. I don’t need to start off with extra pounds. Unless of course it is seafood! My kale container is actually filled with kale this week. Enjoy!
Spinach Salad With Crab Cake And Grilled Shrimp
For the Crab Cakes:
- 3 pounds jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly squeezed juice from ½ lemon 1 tablespoon
- 1½ teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 6 green onions finely chopped
- ½ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
For the Salad:
- 12 ounces Fresh Spinach washed and drained
- ½ cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from one lemon
- Truffle sea salt or any great quality sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup shaved parmesan
- 1 lb grilled shrimp
- Apples and oranges to garnish
- Carefully go through all crab to pick out and discard any bits of shell. Leave the lumps intact as much as possible.
- Transfer the crab to a large bowl.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mustard, Old Bay, green onion and parsley to the bowl. Use your hands to gently fold the mixture without breaking up the lumps of crabmeat.
- Beat the eggs in a separate large bowl, then add the mayonnaise and mix well. Gently fold into the crab mixture.
- Use your hands to mold them into mounds of the same size so they cook evenly. Place on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the crab cakes for 30 minutes to 1 hour so they hold together better during the cooking process.
- Preheat oven to 450˚ and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime combine the spinach, tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Plate on individual plates and sprinkle with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and shaved parmesan.
- Place crab cakes and grilled shrimp on top of the salad and serve.
- Add apple and orange slices to taste.