This classic spinach salad is made with a traditional bacon dressing. The warm dressing is made with bacon drippings, vinegar, and sugar. The heat of the dressing wilts the spinach leaves and gives the spinach salad a wonderfully delicate sweet and sour flavor. The salad is garnished with sliced hard cooked eggs and crumbled bacon and potato slices. It gets some extra crunch from the red onion and radishes. It’s a simple salad with big flavor. See the variations for some add-in suggestions and ideas.
Southern House Salad
- 10 to 12 ounces fresh spinach washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 5 to 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs * 1 chopped, 1 sliced (optional)
- 2 to 4 slices bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Idaho potaoes peeled and boiled
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place prepared spinach in a large bowl. Add onions and radishes.
- Refrigerate the salad, tightly covered.
- Fry or microwave bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel and set aside.
- Peel and quarter ptatoes, boil in water until they slide off the fork. (15-20 min)
- In a saucepan, cover 2 large eggs with water. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a full rolling boil. Cover the saucepan and remove the pan from the heat. Let stand for 12 to 15 minutes. Run cold water over the eggs and peel them. Put in fridge until cool.
- In a small jar or measuring cup combine the bacon drippings with sugar, vinegar, water, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate all ingredients until just before serving. When ready to serve, microwave the dressing on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds, or until mixture boils.
- Toss the chopped egg (if using) and potato with the greens then pour the hot dressing over greens mixture; toss again lightly.
- Arrange the salad on salad plates and top each with a few slices of egg and crumbled bacon.