Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Ultimate Way. This ain’t your Grandma’s Mashed Potatoes!
The mashed potatoes use a Slow Cooker. They are easy to whip up. And easier to serve.
No reason to wait until the end of the meal prep to finish up all the last minute details.
Use cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, peppercorns and other herbs of your choice.
Your guests will love the surprise flavor and texture of the mashed potatoes.
And don’t forget the gravy!!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Ultimate
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 3/4 Cup Water Cold
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick salted butter)
- 11/2 teaspoons coarse sea or kosher salt
- 11/2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives or herbs of choice
Ultimate Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes and give them a good rinse under running water. Cut them into quarters, place them in the slow cooker and cover them with the 3/4 cups cold water. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
- Just before you are ready to serve, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan pour the cream and add the cream cheese, butter, salt and peppercorns. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, whisking occasionally, until the cream bubbles, the cheese softens and becomes smooth and the butter melts, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, use a potato masher and fluff them very thoroughly with a fork when completely mashed. Pour the pepper-speckled cream over the potatoes and sprinkle with the chives. Fold together with a spatula just until the liquid is incorporated. Don’t overmix it. Serve while hot.
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves just before you fold the liquid into the potatoes.
- As you boil the potatoes, add 3 or 4 large garlic cloves and a small onion, coarsely chopped. Rice them all together for an earthy base.
- Toast 3 or 4 dried red chiles (such as chile de arbol; stems discarded and seeds left intact) and a tablespoon of coriander seeds in a tablespoon of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the chiles blacken slightly and the coriander seeds are reddish brown, 2 to 3 minutes, transfer them, oil and all, to a mortar and pound the mix to blend. Fold this into the cream as it simmers instead of the peppercorns.
- Toast a jalapeño or two over an open flame, holding them with tongs and turning them around to blister the skin on all sides. Discard the stems and add the chiles to the potatoes as they boil. Do not discard the seeds from the jalapeños; mashed potatoes are an excellent medium for modulating the heat of the capsaicin in the chiles. Rice the potatoes and chiles together for a pleasant green color and some smoky heat.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.