The secret to mashed potatoes lies in the right floury potato (the russet), a potato ricer and, of course, indulgent fats such as cream and butter. Slow Cooker meals are the best. Here is Mashed Potatoes and all the options. Bonus: foolproof gravy #slowcooker #potatoes #gravy
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Grandmas Way
- 5 Lbs Russet Potatoes Chopped
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic Optional
- 1 Tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 to 3.5 Cups Milk
- .5 Cup Unsalted butter
Peel and chop potatoes:
- Lightly grease the slow cooker insert with butter or cooking spray. Peel the potatoes and chop into small pieces about 1 inch to a side. The smaller the potatoes, the faster they will cook, obviously. Transfer the potatoes to the slow cooker.
Add the seasonings:
- Smash the garlic cloves, if using, and drop on top of the potatoes. Stir in the salt and a generous quantity of black pepper.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups milk: Pour in 1 1/2 cups milk and stir the potatoes once.
Cook until tender:
- Cover the slow cooker and cook 4 to 5 hours on HIGH or until the potatoes are very tender and soft. Turn the heat to WARM.
Melt the butter:
- When the potatoes are done, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
Warm the dairy:
- Stir 2 cups milk, or a mixture of milk and cream, into the melted butter and warm gently over low heat.
Mash the potatoes:
- If you used garlic but don't want the potatoes super garlicky, remove the garlic cloves and discard. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard any browned bits on the sides of the pot. Use a potato masher or ricer to mash the potatoes right in the pot.
Slowly stir in the dairy:
- When the potatoes are as smooth as you like, slowly stir in the warmed dairy and butter. The potatoes will look soupy at first but the potatoes will quickly soak up the liquid. Add an additional 1/2 cup of milk or cream if you want them to be even creamier.
Taste and season:
- Taste and season with additional salt or pepper if desired.
- To keep the potatoes warm, leave in the covered slow cooker on the WARM setting for up to 4 hours.
Enjoy! Please come back and let me know how YOU customized your Potatoes and Gravy.