We have all heard that it ain’t easy being green. Until I learned about the goodness of veggies outside a can I would never have even considered using my slow cooker for green beans. I always chose to steam fresh, long, green veggies. If you use precut veggies from your local produce aisle this side dish can’t get any easier. I cleaned my green beans and attempted to snip off both ends and I will NEVER do that again. It is easier to trim them after they are cooked. I have a funny story to tell about my first time not using jar minced garlic. My kids kept asking if I needed help pressing the garlic as it slipped continuously out onto the floor. it seems my bargain of the year garlic press was a nut cracker and I was trying to use the cherry pitter well! So, it will take a bit longer than 10 minutes if you cut and dice your own onions, press the garlic and cut the ends off fresh beans. Take my advice and stick to what you know best! #slowcooker #veggies #greenbeans #healthy
Slow Cooker Green Beans
10 minutes of prep and the green beans are in the crock pot! Ready when you are! #Slowcooker #Veggies #greenbeans #healthy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen green beans, rinsed and strings removed
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon, fried
- Spray a 5-7 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Or use a slow cooker bag.
- In a medium skillet saute onion and garlic on medium-low heat until they are tender (mine took about 4-5 minutes). Add sauteed onion and garlic along with bacon and all other ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on how tender you like your green beans.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 (472 g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27.9 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 1151 mg
Total Carbohydrates 32 g
Dietary Fiber 11 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 18 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.