Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Paella ~Paella is a popular dish from Spain that has a rice base and includes ingredients such as meat, seafood, and/or vegetables. If you like Spanish food this tasty and healthy dish is for you.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Paella
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into pieces
- 1 T. oil
- 8 oz. cooked smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. saffron or 1/4 tsp. turmeric, ground
- 14.5 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. tomatoes chopped
- 2 yellow or green peppers cut into thin bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1/2 c. green olives drained
- Cooked Spanish rice like bomba or arborio
- Optional first step: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces. (it may take a few batches) Place browned chicken on a paper towel to drain the fat.
- Put chicken pieces, turkey sausage and onion in a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Season meat and onion with garlic, thyme, black pepper, and saffron or turmeric.
- Combine broth and water together and pour over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover & Crock on Low for 7 hours
- Give yourself enough time to prepare rice as directed on the package to have it ready when done, so you can serve the paella over hot rice. I like Matiz Paella Rice
- After the cooking time is complete, stir in tomatoes, sweet peppers, peas, thyme and (optional) green olives.
- Cover and keep on Low for 15 more minutes. Serve over prepared rice.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.