“What are you hungry for?” “Shrimp Chow Mein!” This conversation gets repeated in my household at least twice a month. This is another dinner in my Under 30 Minutes recipe category. And those always fit right into that comfort food list also. Pork or chicken are great choices for the meat but you can use anything you have or substitute a fish or vegetable product as well. The crunchy noodles sprinkled over a bed of delicious pork, shrimp, cabbage and spices create an enticing and satisfying stir fry for your family dinner. Dish up some brown rice, add a bowl of egg drop or won ton soup and a healthy and complete warm meal can be served to your family before they have washed their hands and set the table.
Shrimp Chow Mein
Yield 2 -4
Shrimp Chow Mein is a warm and healthy dinner in less than 30 Minutes. My family loves this recipe and yours will too!
- 8 oz. steamed chow mein (Chinese noodles)
- 2 oz. pork (cut into thin slices)
- 5 shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 stalks scallions (cut into 2-inch length)
- Salt to taste
- Soak the steamed chow mein in cold water for about 5 minutes. Rinse a few times until the water turns clear and the chow mein is soft. Drain the excess water and set aside. (Don’t over soak the chow mein or the noodles will get limpy and soggy.)
- In a small mixing bowl, mix all the seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat up the wok with the cooking oil. Add in the chopped garlic and stir-fry until light brown or aromatic. Add the pork and shrimp and stir fry until they are half done. Add the shredded cabbage and carrot into the wok and do a few quick stirs. Add the noodles , the seasoning mixture and the water. Continue to stir until the noodles are well blended with the seasonings and completely cooked through. Add the chopped scallions, do a few final stirs, dish out and and serve hot.
Courses Under 30 Minutes