Mac and cheese is a family favorite in our home so we like to spice it up once in a while with a few add ons. Crab and shrimp are always in season around here and easy to prepare. Use your favorite combinations of seafood to make this dish. If you like your mac and cheese a little creamier, add another half cup of milk to the recipe when adding the evaporated milk. This dish in my opinion is the epitome of comfort food. Easy and quick, you can serve up a warm and filling meal after a long and stressful. Put the kiddos to bed and enjoy that nice “grownup” beverage with you favorite person.
Want more Mac n Cheese ideas for adults and kids? See my Chili Mac n Cheese Hot Dog Casserole, BBQ Chicken and Smoke Gouda Mac n Cheese, Shrimp and Crap Mac n Cheese and Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese in a Sourdough Bread Bowl.
Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups of Penne pasta
- 6 oz. Claw Crab Meat
- 8 oz. Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 8 oz. block Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 4 oz. block Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Salt Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel and de-vein shrimp if needed.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Place drained pasta in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the crab meat, stir well.
- Add the sour cream, stir together well, until all noodles are coated.
- Finely chop the green onion. Set Aside.
- Grate the white cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan, or skillet.
- Add the shrimp. Turn and stir shrimp until lightly done.
- Remove shrimp from pan. Chop slightly when cooled. Add to the macaroni mixture.
- Add the finely chopped onions to the sauce pan, sauté until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and mix well. Let cook and brown for about one minute.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
- Gradually add the grated Cheddar Cheese, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and seafood mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mixture in a well buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of the mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle lightly with Paprika, to add color.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!