Retro Tuna Noodle Casserole ~When I was a kid we ate lots of cream-of-something soup casseroles. As much as we like to get “foodie” around here, those retro condensed soup casseroles are some of my most favorite comfort foods and I still make many of them for my family. One of my favorites back then was tuna noodle. I’m sure my Mom made it the same way lots of people do, with cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese, and ritz crackers on top. That layer of crunchy crackers melted into gooey cheese was my favorite part!Tuna Noodle Casserole from mom. Mushroom soup and cheddar cheese, and ritz crackers on top. Click To Tweet
- 8 ounces medium egg noodle pasta, cooked al dente according to package
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced or diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced or diced
- olive oil, as needed
- 4 tbs flour
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth (just under 2 cups), warmed
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 12 oz canned tuna, packed in water, drained
- ½ cup Ritz cracker crumbs mixed with about ½ tablespoon melted butter
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Add celery, onion, and mushrooms and sauté stirring often until mushrooms are golden and tender. If needed for moisture, add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan after the mushrooms are added; more if needed during remaining cooking time. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in pan and add flour. Stir constantly for 30 seconds. Slowly add broth and milk, a little at a time while constantly whisking until mixture is smooth. Bring to a low simmer. Add salt and pepper. Stir constantly until thickened and bubbly, 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Whisk until smooth and taste. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add pasta, vegetables, and tuna. Stir to combine and place in a 3 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese (feel free to add more if you want) and sprinkle cracker crumbs or chips on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until top is golden and pasta is hot and bubbly. Let rest 10-15 minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.