Red Velvet! Do you enjoy colorful food? For some reason it makes me smile. To me, it signifies healthy and good tasting, fresh and well made. I know I find it makes me want to eat more and take a bigger helping. Red reminds me of fresh fruit, juicy, sweet and satisfying. The deep green colors of steamed vegetables make me feel the same. But Red Velvet puts the holiday spirit in me and I just want to start cooking and baking and sharing. I hope these gorgeous cookies do the same for you! For more cookie recipes see Ultimate Cookie Bloopers Or For more romantic recipes see my Red Velvet Sweetheart Collection!
Red Velvet Iced Cookies
The Red Velvet Cookies:
- 2 ounces Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- ½1/2 cut butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Red Food Coloring
- 2 cups all purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cups Butter Room temperature softened
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, Room temperature Softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Powdered SugarRed candy sparkles to decorate the top
For the Cookie:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Unwrap squares of chocolate and put them in a microwavable bowl.
- Melt in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Continue heating in 30 second increments until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add baking soda and salt. Beat for another minute or until well mixed.
- Add the egg and beat until it is well mixed. Add red food coloring and mix unil well incorporated.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl. Mix in one cup flour. Mix in sour cream. Add the rest of the flour and mix well. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon sized scoops of dough onto a greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 11 minutes or until they rise and become firm. Remove the pan from the oven and move cookies to a wire rack to cool.
For the frosting:
- In a medium sized bowl mix butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add powered sugar and mix to combine. Adjust powdered sugar for desired spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over the cooled cookies.
- Put the red sprinkles on top of the icing.