This cake came together so nicely! The batter was thin enough to use my hand mixer and within 2 minutes was smooth. The icing glided on after I put the cake in the refrigerator to cool. I hope my sweetie enjoys it! Although, a Red Velvet Pie would be more up his alley. Hmmm. Maybe for Sweetest Day!Red Velvet Cake is an easy and colorful delicious treat for your Sweethearts! #redvelvet #cakeClick To Tweet
- For the cake:
- 1 box Betty Crocker red velvet cake mix, or make your own from scratch
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, I used olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ C butter, softened
- 2½ C powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- white sugar crystals (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease 9x11 pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix, water, oil and eggs for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Place 2 packages softened cream cheese and ½ cup softened butter into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Add 2½ cups powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Scoop the frosting onto your cooled cookie bars and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle it all with some white sugar crystals if you like. Dig in right away, or place the bars in the fridge for about 30 minutes. The cake (and frosting) will be easy to cut if they have had a chance to chill a bit.