Pumpkin Pie ~This is a classic pumpkin pie recipe, a must in every Thanksgiving feast. It is very moist and creamy without a strong taste of cinnamon or nutmeg. The addition of lemon zest is the key ingredient and the hardest to identify. Add a dollop of whipped cream on the top! Have your veggies and eat your dessert too. This Pumpkin Pie and Carrot Cake will check both boxes.
- 2 cups of pumpkin pulp may be canned pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix sugars, salt, and spices, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin purée. Stir in cream. Whisk all together until well incorporated.
- Pour into pie shell and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Note that the pumpkin pie will come out of the oven all puffed up (from the leavening of the eggs), and will deflate as it cools.
- Serve with whipped cream.