Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones ~The perfect companion to an early morning (or late night) cup of cold milk, hot tea, coffee or cocoa , these dense, flavorful scones combine two favorite fall flavors: pumpkin and chocolate. I love a freshly made scone with a nice cup of coffee or tea around the holiday season. These pumpkin chocolate chip scones are tasty and festive. Studded with bites of chocolate, they are the perfect way to get your day started.
For more pumpkin recipes see The Great Pumpkin Roundup
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
The perfect companion to an early morning (or late night) cup of cold milk, hot tea, coffee or cocoa.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2/3- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (can easily substitute dark chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix together with a fork.
- Add the cubed butter into the flour mixture and, using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is slightly broken down into the size of small pebbles.
- Add the pumpkin, heavy cream and egg to the dry mixture and combine together with a fork. When it's almost completely incorporated, add the 2/3 cups of chocolate chips and combine, being careful not to overmix. The batter should just hold together.
- Using a 1/2-cup scoop, form mounds out of the dough. Place the mounds of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes before baking.
- Place the baking sheet into your preheated oven and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- To serve warm, heat in microwave for 15 seconds.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 scone
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 550 mg
Total Carbohydrates 52 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.