I love pork. It’s “the other white meat” as they say in the ads. It is relatively lean and goes on sale here in Michigan quite often. For dinner we had this delightful Pork topped in a Creamy White Sauce with plenty of fresh mushrooms. It was so tender and good, I guess that comes with not eating a lot of meat lately. The succulent chops were paired with a mashed potatoes and caramelized onions. The veggie was a nice honey roasted carrot dish cooked al dente. A crispy endive salad with a bit of vinegar and oil topped off the meal. The only key ingredient I missed was a nice wine. What kind of wine would you have chosen?
Pork Chops in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Butterfly or center cut pork chops are very tasty when you add a nice creamy white sauce with fresh mushrooms.
- 4 center cut or butterfly pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake & oyster
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon and/or parsley
- Sprinkle pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 pork chops. Cook, turning once, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining chops.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add shallots and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Add wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring up any browned bits, until the liquid is mostly evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and herbs; cook until bubbling, about 1 minute more. Serve the chops with the mushroom sauce.
Recipe Source: Eating Well©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected. Food Source: The Village Grill
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.