Peppermint Hot Fudge Sauce ~December is not exactly prime ice cream season, but it is with this sauce in the fridge. The first year I gave this out my friends, equally in love with the sauce as I was, reportedly dispatched husbands to the store for their favorite brands of vanilla. Recommending that they buy two pints to make sure there was enough to go around. As if that wasn’t enough, I also received news that several couples caught their spouses sticking fingers right in the jar to sneak a taste when they thought no one was looking!
I use this on many of my desserts. See it here on my Whoppers Malted Cheesecake.
Peppermint Hot Fudge Sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract substitute vanilla, if you don't want the mint flavor
- In a double boiler over medium heat stir in cocoa, sugars and salt. Add the cream and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the butter is melted and the sauce comes together and is smooth and glossy. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Then, remove the bowl from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the peppermint extract. Store in the fridge and re-heat when ready to use.