Peanut Butter Cheesecake
This peanut butter cheesecake combines my favorite things. Start with the oreo crust. Use the regular oreos or peanut butter filled oreos. Both are awesomely delicious.
- For the crust:
- 18 Oreo cookies, finely ground
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- small pinch salt
- For the filling:
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping:
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp shortening
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts or 1 cup crumbled peanut butter cups
- Place one oven rack in the middle position, with one rack below. Preheat oven to 350. Place a 13×9 baking dish on the bottom rack and fill with water – this will act as our water bath.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crust with a fork until evenly moistened. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the crumbs into the pan and, using the bottom of a glass, press the crumbs down into the base and 1-inch up the sides. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter on low speed for 1 minute until smooth and free of any lumps. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to beat slowly until combined. Gradually add sugar and beat until creamy, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, and vanilla. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters. The batter should be well-mixed, but not overbeaten. Pour the filling into the crust-lined pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Place on the top oven rack above the water-filled baking dish, bake for 1 hour. The cheesecake should still jiggle a little in the center (it will firm up after chilling), so be careful not to overcook. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Chill in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 4 hours. Loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the inside rim. Un-mold and transfer to a cake plate.
- To make the drizzle, microwave the chocolate and shortening in 30-second intervals until melted. Drizzle over the cooled cheesecake and top with crushed peanuts or peanut butter cups before serving.