Patriotic Brownie with a Pretzel Crust is my only patriotic creation I am making for this holiday. I love making simple and easy every day desserts look so special. And if I can make the dish even a bit healthier than normal I call it a bonus! If you are pressed for time or ingredients you can always use your favorite box brownie mix and a ready made chocolate and caramel topping. The added fresh fruit is what makes this super yummy dessert a delightful presentation for any get together of family, a night with the girls, or just a quiet after dinner treat with your family. Everyone that tried this loved the taste. If you make it please share it and your experiences in the comments below. How would you change it to reflect your style?
Patriotic Brownie with a Pretzel Crust
- 1/2 cup all-purpose
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Dark chocolate brownie:
- 7 ounces unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 oz chocolate
- 10 caramel pieces
- 1 qt blueberries
- 1 qt strawberries circular slices
- 12 mint leaves
To make pretzel crust:
- Stir together pretzels, the 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, and baking soda.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Pat mixture into the bottom of an 11x7x1-1/2-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.
To make the brownie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square by 2-inch deep baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate, butter, and the water.
- Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add granulated sugar and brown sugar to chocolate mixture; beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, and cinnamon. Beat on low speed until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and/or powdered sugar.
- Melt 2-3 oz of chocolate and 10-13 caramel candy pieces; then place each in a Ziploc bag and snip off one corner. Drizzle caramel on top of cooled brownie and ice cream followed by chocolate and caramel.
- Add blueberries and strawberries and a sprig of mint.