New York Jets Whoopie Pies ~These add a very bright color when serving. Of course you can make them for St. Patrick’s Day, but you can use them for school colors for a grad going away, or that Big Rivalry Football game. A great game day snack, you can easily use different shades of food coloring to honor the two teams. The combinations are endless! Whoa, they are flooding my mind!
You will love these Red Velvet Whoopie Pies!
New York Jets Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp green food coloring
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
- Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
- Bake 6 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 7 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets and frost with favorite filling.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth with no visible lumps. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Be careful no to overbeat the filling, or it will lose structure.
- Pipe filling in between onto bottom of one whoopie pie and sandwich between another whoopie pie. Store whoopie pies in fridge until ready to serve, then allow whoopie pies to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.