What I love about this white bean salad is that it is so easy, and it’s good protein too. I have been highlighting some of my healthy soups, salads, and chilis this month, but I saved the best for last. This navy bean salad would make an excellent picnic salad because you can make it a day ahead. There is no dairy to worry about the extra time time until you serve it gives the flavors more time to marinate the beans. The most involved part of this side dish is letting the beans drain, chill and marinate. The whole family will ask for seconds.
Navy Bean Salad
- 1 pound Michigan small navy beans 6 cups water
- 6 cups water
- 11/4 cups celery diced
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing or any oil and vinegar dressing 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon All Purpose Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos drained
- Soak beans in 6 cups of water overnight in refrigerator. Drain and rinse beans.
- Combine with 6 cups water; simmer on top of stove until tender (about 1 to 11/2 hours) stirring occasionally.
- Drain, cool, and then add remaining ingredients. Chill for about 4 hours in refrigerator before serving.
- Makes 10-12 portions.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.