What I love about this white bean salad is that it is so easy, and it’s good protein too. I have been highlighting some of my healthy soups, salads, and chilis this month, but I saved the best for last. This navy bean salad would make an excellent picnic salad because you can make it a day ahead. There is no dairy to worry about the extra time time until you serve it gives the flavors more time to marinate the beans. The most involved part of this side dish is letting the beans drain, chill and marinate. The whole family will ask for seconds. #gf #healthy #vegetarian
Navy Bean Salad
Yield 10 -12
Make this healthy navy bean salad the night before!Relieve the stress! #gf #healthy #vegetarian
- 1 pound Michigan small navy beans 6 cups water
- 6 cups water
- 11/4 cups celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing (or any oil and vinegar dressing) 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon All Purpose Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos, drained
- Soak beans in 6 cups of water overnight in refrigerator. Drain and rinse beans.
- Combine with 6 cups water; simmer on top of stove until tender (about 1 to 11/2 hours) stirring occasionally.
- Drain, cool, and then add remaining ingredients. Chill for about 4 hours in refrigerator before serving.
- Makes 10-12 portions.
Serving Size 5 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 520 mg
Total Carbohydrates 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.