Do you like Marsala Wine? If you answered yes you are in for a culinary treat. These portabella mushrooms are combined with just the right blend of spices and then simmered in a marsala wine sauce. What you taste is a superb blend of savory flavors rarely found in a creamy mushroom soup. deep bodied and smooth this soup is one you simply must try!
Mushroom Soup Marsala
These portabella mushrooms are combined with just the right blend of spices and then simmered in a marsala wine sauce.
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for frying bread
- 1 pound crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- Good-quality white, peasant or Italian bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a medium size pot, simmer the porcini mushrooms in the stock to soften, about 10 minutes.
- In a soup pot, heat 1/4 cup Olive oil over medium-high heat. When the Olive oil begins to ripple, add the crimini mushrooms and cook until lightly browned and tender, 12-15 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Stir until the shallots soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the marsala, scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced by half.
- Remove the porcini mushrooms from the stock; chop, then add to the pot. Pour the porcini stock into the soup pot, being careful not to add the last few spoonfuls where grit may have settled. Add 2 cups water to the pot, then let simmer until flavors combine, about 10 minutes, and season.
- In a skillet, heat a thin layer of Olive oil over medium. Add the bread and cook until light golden and crisp.
- Before serving, stir the parsley and lemon juice into the soup. Place a piece of fried bread in each soup bowl, sprinkle with a little cheese and top with soup.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Unsaturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 1153 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Protein 12 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.