Do you like Marsala Wine? If you answered yes you are in for a culinary treat. These portabella mushrooms are combined with just the right blend of spices and then simmered in a marsala wine sauce. What you taste is a superb blend of savory flavors rarely found in a creamy mushroom soup. deep bodied and smooth this soup is one you simply must try!
Mushroom Soup Marsala
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms about 1/2 cup
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for frying bread
- 1 pound crimini baby portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- Good-quality white peasant or Italian bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a medium size pot, simmer the porcini mushrooms in the stock to soften, about 10 minutes.
- In a soup pot, heat 1/4 cup Olive oil over medium-high heat. When the Olive oil begins to ripple, add the crimini mushrooms and cook until lightly browned and tender, 12-15 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Stir until the shallots soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the marsala, scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced by half.
- Remove the porcini mushrooms from the stock; chop, then add to the pot. Pour the porcini stock into the soup pot, being careful not to add the last few spoonfuls where grit may have settled. Add 2 cups water to the pot, then let simmer until flavors combine, about 10 minutes, and season.
- In a skillet, heat a thin layer of Olive oil over medium. Add the bread and cook until light golden and crisp.
- Before serving, stir the parsley and lemon juice into the soup. Place a piece of fried bread in each soup bowl, sprinkle with a little cheese and top with soup.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.