I love a good salad, but it also needs some fresh fruit or meat additions. This Michigan Berry Salad really fits the bill. In June we have a pick-your-own berries festival at the farm and orchard a few doors away. I love the ease of getting local fruits and honey when in season. In addition to the strawberries, for this salad you can blueberries, cherries, apples and raspberries. Use my Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing or one of your own!
Michigan Berry Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups mixed greens or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 granny smith apple sliced matchstick
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and sliced (rotisserie works well too!)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved optional
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
- Use an immersion blender (or regular) and blend vinaigrette ingredients until smooth.
- Blend salad ingredients, top with dressing, crumbled gorgonzola and combine.
- Add fried gorgonzola cheese. Cut the gorgonzola into cubes.
- Dip into a beaten egg, then in bread crumbs (Pankow used), pressing the breading into place.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a skillet. When the oil is hot, add the cheese cubes browning on both sides (but do not melt).
- Top the salad with the warm, fried gorgonzola.