I just got back from my vacation in North Carolina on the ocean and I am now loving ANYTHING served fresh from the sea. The coming week will be all about shellfish, seafood, and hush puppies served grilled or blackened or raw and even fried. With fresh fruit and garden grown veggies the eating will be good in our home all summer! This lobster and crab salad is worth the trouble of splitting out of the shell. If you prefer you can also use frozen or mock seafood in a pinch. If you want less bread use Pillsbury Grands or dinner rolls for an even tastier treat. You will hear the crashing of the waves when it is served. Or for more Lobster see Lobster Quesadillas or Lobster Dishes For Lovers
Lobster and Crab Salad Over a Warm Roll
- Kosher salt
- 3 live Maine lobsters 1 1/4 pound each
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise plus more if desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1 tablespoon dill
- Dash cayenne pepper plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rolls or muffins split open
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup crab meat
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Add lobsters head first to water and cook, covered, until shells are bright red and an antennae or leg pulls off easily, 8 to 10 minutes. Crack one open where the tail meets the body of the lobster. The flesh should be firm, white, and opaque. If it is still translucent, then the lobster needs more time to finish cooking. Drain lobsters head down in a colander to release excess liquid.
- When cool enough to handle, crack lobster shells and remove meat from tails, claws, and knuckles. Tear the meat by hand into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon, celery, tarragon, cayenne, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour over lobster meat and gently stir until lobster is well coated. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more mayonnaise if desired. Chill lobster mixture for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and toast buns, buttered side down, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per bun. Fill each bun with lobster mixture and sprinkle with an extra dash cayenne, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.