Loaded Baked Potato Soup ~This healthy loaded baked potato soup recipe is inspired by the comforting flavor of fully loaded baked potatoes with bacon, Cheddar, sour cream and chives. To make a vegetarian version of this potato soup, omit the bacon and use “no-chicken” broth. Serve it with a green salad and crusty bread to clean up the bowl. It will warm you from your nose to your toes.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds medium russet potatoes 2-3, scrubbed and diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped chives or finely chopped scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain, leaving the oil and bacon drippings in the pan. Add onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer about half the potatoes to a bowl and mash until almost smooth, but still a little chunky. Return the mashed potatoes to the pan along with sour cream, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon, the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and chives (or scallion greens).