Lemon Raspberry Muffins ~The bright flavor of lemon complements any berry. These raspberry muffins get extra intense lemon flavor from lemon sugar, which is used to sprinkle the muffin tins and tops, and in the batter. Freezing the raspberries slightly helps maintain their shape during baking.
Lemon Raspberry Muffins
The bright flavor of lemon complements any berry. These raspberry muffins get extra intense lemon flavor from lemon sugar, which is used to sprinkle the muffin tins and tops, and in the batter. Freezing the raspberries slightly helps maintain their shape during baking.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-pourpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cups (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups each) Fresh Raspberries, slightly frozen
- Toss sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon zest, rubbing it between fingers to release the oils. Let sit at least 1 hour and up to 1 day before sifting to remove zest pieces. Remove 1/4 cup and set reamaining aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a muffin pan and liberally sprinkle cups with lemon sugar from 1/4 cup. Save remaining mixture for topping muffins.
- Sift 2-1/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 3/4 cup lemon sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add butter to flour mixture and cut in with a pastry blender or two knives. (You can also use an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed.) Stop mixing when the butter pieces are pea-sized and smaller.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture stirring just until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Measure out 1 3/4 cups raspberries and save any leftover berries for another use, such as a smoothie or yogurt topping.
- Toss 1 3/4 cups berries with remaining 1/4 cup flour and gently fold into batter. Fill muffin tins to the top and sprinkle with a generous amount of remaining lemon sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes and rotate pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until muffins spring back when lightly pressed in the center and/or a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Jumbo muffins will take approximately 5 minutes longer.
Adapted from Driscolls
#raspberry #lemon #muffins