Lemon Deluxe Sugar Cookies ~The lemon flavor and bright yellow color will make your dessert table come alive.These adorable cookies present so nicely on your platter. The lemon flavor is very mild and they aren’t extremely sweet. A good choice for spring gatherings. Add this cookie to your list for Christmas. You won’t go wrong.
Lemon Deluxe Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- colored sprinkles
- candy sprinkles
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemons zest of
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus more if needed
- 1 -2 drop of yellow liquid food coloring
- candy sprinkles
- Mix thoroughly butter, powdered sugar, egg, and lemon extract. Blend in baking soda, cream of tartar, and flour. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the dough in half, and roll each half of dough 3/16" inch thick on a lightly floured or cloth-covered board.
- Cut into desired shapes and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown on the edges.
The Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- In a food processor, process the powdered sugar and lemon zest until the zest in evenly incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the butter, and process until very well blended -- and smooth. Add 1 1/2 tsps lemon juice and food coloring, if using, and process till smooth and well blended. If necessary, add a bit more powdered sugar to stiffen the frosting or a bit more lemon juice to thin it so that is of spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting onto the cookies, apply the candy sprinkles. Let stand until the frosting completely sets -- at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.