A perfect creamy blend of sweet and tart will make your mouth water as you take the first forkful of this homemade tart. Easy to find ingredients as well as basic baking skills allow even the novice baker to create a masterpiece both family and guests will rave about. Individual pies makes extra helpings seem so natural and allows everyone to enjoy your creation without guilt and embarrassment. You simply must try this recipe at least once. I guarantee that you will keep making this tart as it becomes your very own signature dish. When this pie ws featured on The Daily Meal it received over 10,000 pageviews the first hour! Let’s see it take down my server!
For more pie recipes see 20+ Pies For Thanksgiving
Key Lime Tart
Key Lime Tart ~ a favorite of the south and east, this key lime tart is neither sweet nor will it make you pucker. The memory of the graham cracker crust and pudding like filling will keep you coming back for more.
- 9 to 10 graham crackers (each 2 1/2 by 5 inches)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 4 to 6 limes), or fresh or bottled key-lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- Slivered lime zest, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Process graham crackers and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs form; add butter. Process until combined. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; pat into bottom and up sides. Place pan on a baking sheet, and bake until crust is fragrant and slightly colored, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and salt; whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into crust (warm or cool is fine), leaving 1/8 inch at the top; return to oven. Bake until filling is set around edge but still slightly loose in center, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely at room temperature; then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Serve, garnished with zest, if desired.
©MARILYN'S TREATS All images are copywright protected.