A perfect creamy blend of sweet and tart will make your mouth water as you take the first fork full of this homemade tart. Easy to find ingredients as well as basic baking skills allow even the novice baker to create a masterpiece both family and guests will rave about. Individual pies makes extra helpings seem so natural and allows everyone to enjoy your creation without guilt and embarrassment. You simply must try this recipe at least once. I guarantee that you will keep making this tart as it becomes your very own signature dish. When this pie was featured on The Daily Meal it received over 10,000 pageviews the first hour! Let’s see it take down my server!
Key Lime Tart
- 9 to 10 graham crackers each 2 1/2 by 5 inches
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice from 4 to 6 limes, or fresh or bottled key-lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- Slivered lime zest for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Process graham crackers and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs form; add butter. Process until combined. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; pat into bottom and up sides. Place pan on a baking sheet, and bake until crust is fragrant and slightly colored, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and salt; whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into crust (warm or cool is fine), leaving 1/8 inch at the top; return to oven. Bake until filling is set around edge but still slightly loose in center, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely at room temperature; then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Serve, garnished with zest, if desired.