Hearty Beef and Barley Soup. This soup can be made in the crock pot and left to simmer throughout the day while you go about your business. It is very hearty and chuck full of good veggies, barley grains and chunks of the most tender beef you will ever taste. All you need for a complete meal is a salad and a good chunk of bread to dunk in your soup. The kids will love it with a cold glass of milk. The adults can have a nice bottle of wine chilling for after dinner!
Hearty Beef and Barley Soup
This soup can be made in the crock pot and left to simmer throughout the day while you go about your business.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
- Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p25
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.