If you haven’t noticed by now, it is pumpkin-spice season. Companies are turning every food product into a pumpkin-flavored commodity. It is a sign of autumn and cooler weather, and many coffee shops use this to their advantage by creating decadent pumpkin-flavored drinks. Pumpkin is actually a very healthful vegetable. It is high in the antioxidant beta-carotene, which can help fight cancer. Instead of a pumpkin spice latte, try this pumpkin smoothie—using REAL pumpkin! And because of the health advantages you can drink as many as you like!
Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie
- 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups plant milk of your choice or to taste
- 2 cups ice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or to taste
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is incorporated.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice in place of pumpkin pie spice
- Add banana for a different taste.
- Use almond or soy milk.
- Use your fresh pumpkin from the holiday.