If you haven’t noticed by now, it is pumpkin-spice season. Companies are turning every food product into a pumpkin-flavored commodity. It is a sign of autumn and cooler weather, and many coffee shops use this to their advantage by creating decadent pumpkin-flavored drinks. Pumpkin is actually a very healthful vegetable. It is high in the antioxidant beta-carotene, which can help fight cancer. Instead of a pumpkin spice latte, try this pumpkin smoothie—using REAL pumpkin! And because of the health advantages you can drink as many as you like!
For more pumpkin recipes see The Great Pumpkin Roundup
Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie
Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie ~Vegan and Gluten Free! Instead of a pumpkin spice latte, try this pumpkin smoothie—using REAL pumpkin! And because of the health advantages you can drink as many as you like!
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups plant milk of your choice, or to taste
- 2 cups ice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is incorporated.
Optional:Add cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice in place of pumpkin pie spiceAdd banana for a different taste.Use almond or soy milk Use your fresh pumpkin from the holiday. Just dig out the meat and boil until soft.Recipe Image Source: Mary Ohno
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Sodium 51 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 8.7 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.