Fat Tuesday is coming!! Are you ready?? I live near Hamtramck, Michigan which is well known for the long lines to buy Paczki. Starting hours before the bakeries open people are camped out in anticipation of buying those huge, delicious, decadent fried Polish pastries. I have an alternative to the calories and lines while still providing all the sweet goodness you demand. No more need to order dozens of these confections weeks in advance. Make your own at home!
For more donut recipes see Donuts Galore!
Healthy Polish Paczki
Craving Paczki that taste decadent yet not filling you with all the carbs and sugar? Try these! #paczki #donuts
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mace or 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- plums or your choice jam, apple filling, prunes, bavarian creme
- oil (for frying)
- confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar
- Scald milk and allow to cool to lukewarm, add yeast and stir.
- Beat sugar and butter until fluffy, add eggs, salt, vanilla and mace.
- Add flour and yeast-milk gradually, beating well.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Roll out dough, on a floured surface, 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Top half of the circles with 1 tsp jam, cover with the remaining circles and seal edges.
- Heat oil mixed with 1 tbls water to 375°F.
- Fry, turning once, to a medium golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Genius Kitchen
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 donut
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.3 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 34.9 mg
Sodium 108.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 18.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.