Fat Tuesday is coming!! Are you ready?? I live near Hamtramck, Michigan which is well known for the long lines to buy Paczki. Starting hours before the bakeries open people are camped out in anticipation of buying those huge, delicious, decadent fried Polish pastries. I have an alternative to the calories and lines while still providing all the sweet goodness you demand. No more need to order dozens of these confections weeks in advance. Make your own at home!
For more donut recipes see Donuts Galore!
Healthy Polish Paczki
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/4 ounce packages dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mace or 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- plums or your choice jam apple filling, prunes, bavarian creme
- oil for frying
- confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar
- Scald milk and allow to cool to lukewarm, add yeast and stir.
- Beat sugar and butter until fluffy, add eggs, salt, vanilla and mace.
- Add flour and yeast-milk gradually, beating well.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Roll out dough, on a floured surface, 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Top half of the circles with 1 tsp jam, cover with the remaining circles and seal edges.
- Heat oil mixed with 1 tbls water to 375°F.
- Fry, turning once, to a medium golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.