Since April is the month of Mac and Cheese I thought I would spice it up a bit. Green Chile Mac and Cheese is not just for kids! Enjoy this spicy rendition of a favorite comfort food. Whether you make your own noodles or grate your own cheese, adding these green chile peppers will spice up your dish. The cheesy goodness brings out the flavor of the chiles to perfection. If you are looking for a change from your go to version of this dish, then this is just what the chef ordered! The strength and type of peppers used will bring the spice level to make your mouth water. Enjoy!
Green Chile Mac and Cheese
Yield 6 -8
Green Chile Mac and Cheese is not just for kids! Enjoy this spicy rendition of a favorite comfort food.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely crushed bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion in the melted butter for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat. Add 1½ cups of the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni and chiles. Mix well. Transfer the macaroni to a 1½-quart casserole and top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle finely crushed bred crumbs across the top. Bake 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.