This classic Greek salad recipe consist of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, feta, oregano and gets a crunchy boost from romaine lettuce. Try it with some braised lamb, grilled chicken strips, or beets as a starter for your next Greek meal. This Greek Salad and dressing is one of the best I have eaten. My family loves all the fixings but I prefer just feta and beets. All your salad lovers will love how versatile this salad can be.
Yield 6-8 Servings
This classic Greek salad recipe consist of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, feta, oregano and gets a crunchy boost from romaine lettuce. Try it with some braised lamb, grilled chicken strips, or beets as a starter for your next Greek meal.
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces, washed, and dried
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and large dice
- 1 medium English cucumber, large dice
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 medium lemon), plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- add choice of meat (I like grilled chicken strips) or braised lamb
- add fresh or jars of beets (I use pickled beets and save the juice for another day) to taste.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and add the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and onion; set aside.
- Place the oil, measured lemon juice, oregano, measured salt, and pepper to taste in a small, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and season with additional lemon juice, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with the feta. Top with your choice of meat or beets to taste.
My choice of add-ons is grilled chicken strips and pickled beets from a jar. I keep the juice for future use to flavor other dishes and reduce the water needed.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.91 g
Saturated Fat 3.07 g
Cholesterol 10.51 mg
Sodium 347 mg
Total Carbohydrates 10.4 g
Dietary Fiber 4.04 g
Sugars 4.16 g
Protein 4.03 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.