This classic Greek salad recipe consist of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, feta, oregano and gets a crunchy boost from romaine lettuce. Try it with some braised lamb, grilled chicken strips, or beets as a starter for your next Greek meal. This Greek Salad and dressing is one of the best I have eaten. My family loves all the fixings but I prefer just feta and beets. All your salad lovers will love how versatile this salad can be. To go along with a Greek Salad choose, White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake, or Cookies and Cream Cheesecake
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces, washed, and dried
- 2 medium tomatoes cored, seeded, and large dice
- 1 medium English cucumber large dice
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 medium lemon, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese about 2 1/2 ounces
- add choice of meat I like grilled chicken strips or braised lamb
- add fresh or jars of beets I use pickled beets and save the juice for another day to taste.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and add the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and onion; set aside.
- Place the oil, measured lemon juice, oregano, measured salt, and pepper to taste in a small, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and season with additional lemon juice, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with the feta. Top with your choice of meat or beets to taste.
- My choice of add-ons is grilled chicken strips and pickled beets from a jar. I keep the juice for future use to flavor other dishes and reduce the water needed.