This Grapefruit and Avocado Salad delivers great new flavor combination. You might not think of grapefruit and avocado as a great pairing but they really are. They get along great together. Grapefruit brings a sour-sweet juiciness and avocado answers with a creamy mildness that isn’t overpowered by the grapefruit. Put them in a salad together and you can have the taste of summer any time of the year. There are many different salad dressings compliment this salad but by far my favorite is a honey-lemon dressing. It adds just enough sweetness to balance the grapefruit but not drown it out. I have to admit that half the time I’m lazy and buy it pre-sectioned in a jar in the produce section of the grocery store. A little cheat now and then can be a good thing. Right?
Grapefruit Avocado Salad
- 1 large grapefruit peeled and sectioned
- 2 large avocados
- 15 oz mixed greens
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut avocado into slices just before serving. Top mixed greens with grapefruit sections and avocado. Dress with Honey-Lemon dressing and serve.
- Honey-Lemon Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest and honey. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.