Granny’s Liver and Onions With Bacon is a dish I have loved all my life. There are two secrets in preparing good liver. The first is to buy calves liver, not beef liver. It is much tenderer and less grizzly. The second is to poach it. The meat gets cooked evenly without burning or being too raw. The absence of the grease is also a key difference over frying the meat. If you are squeamish, like I am about touching the meat you can use a toothpick or skewer to coat the meat in the flour or use tongs. Both work well.
Granny's Liver and Onions With Bacon
Granny's Liver and Onions With Bacon is so good and healthy. It tastes more like veal than liver with her two secret steps.
- 1 lb calves liver
- 1 med onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 12 slices microwave bacon
- Pour water in skillet just enough to cover the meat and bring to a boil. Flour pieces of liver and place in skillet. Brown on each side and remove from pan.
- In a separate greased pan add onions and garlic powder. Saute onions until clear.
- Add flour one tablespoon at a time until oil is absorbed and flour is lightly browned. Add water to flour & onion mixture until it reaches gravy consistency that you desire. simmer for about 5 minutes and then return liver to pan. Cover and simmer for another ten to fifteen minutes.
- Cook bacon in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Add bacon to pan and serve.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 6-8 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.