These potatoes have been a long time favorite when I make a typical meat and potatoes meal. My grandmother taught me to make this dish when I was little and I thought I had a great job being picked to peel the potatoes. The kitchen would get steamy as they boiled and I could just see the butter and cheese melting on them in my mind. Grandma always mashed them with a metal masher and I remember her wiping a stray lock of hair away from her face with the back of her hand. These days I cheat and use a mixer to get rid of the lumps. Somehow without the lumps they just aren’t grandmas potatoes.
Grandmas Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
Smashed Cheddar Potato Casserole just like Grandma makes!
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 2/3 cup Irish cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup chives or green onions, finely chopped
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into 2 inch chunks. Place in saucepan, cover with water and stir in 2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, turn down to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes, return to saucepan. Turn heat to low, stir milk and butter. Fold in cheese and chives and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold into rectangular pan. Sprinkle more cheese on top to taste.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All content is copyright protected. Please feel free to use my recipe for your own use. To republish this recipe, all I ask is to link back to this post.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.