Do you want a cookie that melts in your mouth and takes more than two bites to eat? This loaf cookie is just the one you are looking for. When my boys were both toddlers I had a sitter that came to our home every day. She was in her seventies, a third Grandma to them and was one of the best caregivers we could ever want. She was always with them in the kitchen and baked these cookies at least four times a week. They made our home smell so warm and wonderful and she always let the boys help her when she baked. By far these cookies were the best ever. They melted in your mouth, didn’t crumble when you bit into them and the recipe never fails to make a great cookie. I added them to my cookie swap list this year and I wanted to share them with you. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. If you make any additions please comment below! I would love to hear what others do! For more cookie recipes see Ultimate Cookie Bloopers
Grandma Lydia's Ice Box Cookies
An easy refrigerator cookie that will melt in your mouth. It never crumbles and you can add to the basic mix anytime to changs it up. These cookies went with me today to the Botsford Cancer Center Treatment Unit.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups melted Crisco
- 4 cups flour sifted twice
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a small bowl add twice sifted flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Mix brown sugar, white sugar, Crisco, nuts, cranberries and well beaten eggs one at a time in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Divide dough into two long equal sized rolls. Wrap in foil and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Bake the Dough:
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Slices loaves into 12 slices each.
- Bake in oven at 375° F for 10 minutes in ungreased pan. Let cool.
- Add nothing, or decorate any way you like. It just just fine as is!
Double sifting the flour creates a finer flour for the cookies.Well beating the eggs and using the whisk attachment on your mixer adds air to the batter and makes a better cookie.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All content is copyright protected.
Serving Size 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 69 mg
Total Carbohydrates 10 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.