This may surprise you, but the standard, easy angel food cake recipe is naturally dairy-free. It uses loads of egg whites for all of the moisture, so no milk, sour cream, or heavy cream is required!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Angel Food Cake
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Baker's Special Sugar** or superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites 10 to 11 large eggs, separated, yolks discarded or reserved for another use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Baker's Special Sugar** or superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the oven rack in its lowest position.
- Whisk together and then sift the flour, cornstarch, and 3/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a large, clean (grease-free) mixing bowl, beat together the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Add the flavorings. Gradually increase the speed of the mixer and continue beating until the egg whites have increased in volume, and thickened.
- Gradually beat in the 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, a bit at a time, until the meringue holds soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour/sugar blend ¼ cup at a time, just until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" round angel food pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter to settle the batter and remove any large air bubbles.
- Bake the cake until it's a deep golden brown, and the top springs back when pressed lightly, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan onto the neck of a heatproof bottle or funnel, to suspend the cake upside down as it sets and cools, about 2 hours.
- Remove the cake from the pan by running a thin spatula or knife around the edges of the pan, and turning the cake out onto a plate.
- Cut the cake with a serrated knife or angel food cake comb. If it's difficult to cut, wet the knife and wipe it clean between slices.
- Serve with whipped cream and fruit. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature.