Frito Taco Trifle ~This would be perfect to take to a church covered dish dinner or to serve at a Super Bowl party or to make for the NCAA basketball championship! It is also great for a simple weeknight supper. You can use a 9×11 pan, or just make a taco bar on the table. I liked the trifle becauseI like to spruce up a meal. Sometimes I light votive candles too, but that speech is for a different dinner.
Frito Taco Trifle
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, or leave out the meat
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 Can refried beans optional
- 2 medium Avocados Ripe, peeled and pitted
- 2 TBSP red onion finley chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 Can black olives drained and pitted
- 4 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 Small cucumber peeled and chopped
- 5 green onions chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese Grated
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 Bag Frito chips Or more
- In a small skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in one can of refried beans (optional) and heat thoroughly. Let cool slightly while you assemble remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mash avocados with onion, garlic, and lemon juice (or use prepared guacamole).
In a 3-quart trifle dish (or glass bowl) layer in this order:
- ground beef mixture
- avocado mixture
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped cucumber
- chopped green onions
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Repeat all layers, ending with sour cream. You may want to save out a few green onions and black olives for a garnish.
- Serve immediately with frito chips.