The fish lovers in the room will love that I am presenting a wonderful recipe for Fish and Chips! All you need is a nice salad and a large bottle of your favorite wine. The aroma of the fish cooking in the kitchen will bring your family to the table just in time to be served. I love a meal that the entire family can all eat together at the same time. This one fits the bill! Try this Fish and Chips wit some malt vinegar or tartar sauce. Delish.
Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips ~batter dipped fish of your choice fried to a golden brown. Fried chips can be homemade style, crinkle cut or french fries.
- The Batter:
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 7 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- The Chips:
- Calculate roughly 2 medium sized potatoes per person, peeled and cut into finger thickness
- Other ingredients:
- Salt and Malt Brown Vinegar for serving
- 8 fish filets of your choice
- If you are using frozen fish, defrost it.
- Turn oven on to 300F,
- Heat up the oil in your fry pan until it reaches 350F.
- Check over your fish for any bones. If you have a thick part and thin part of the fish, cut the thin part off. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Mix your flour and salt and pepper well in a shallow dish and cover the fish with the flour shaking off any loose flour.
- Mix in salt and pepper coating fish with flour
- Make up the batter. Add all ingredients and give it a light whisk. Don't worry if there are lumps in the batter. This is good!
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chip shapes, then rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Carefully place the chips into the fry pan, and allow to cook gently for approximately 8 minutes. They should turn soft and still have a pale color. You can check if the chips are cooked by using a sharp knife and feeling if it's soft inside.
- Take them out of the pan and place on your baking tray for now. We will refry them after the fish to give them a super crisp.
- If you don't have a thermometer, drop a bit of batter or end of a chip in the oil and see if it sizzles to the surface, testing if the oil is hot enough
- Increase your oil heat to 350F.
- Place a few sheets of paper towel in your baking tray. We will use this to place the fish once it's cooked.
- Cook 1 or 2 pieces of fish at a time. Take the end of a piece of fish, place it in the batter and coat it well. Take it out of the batter and leave the excess to drip off, say for about 5 seconds.
- Then gently place it in the hot oil, and cook for 7 - 8 minutes until it becomes crispy and golden brown. If the batter starts going brown too quickly, turn the temperature down a little.
- Place on the paper towel and keep warm in the oven. Cook the other pieces of fish the same way and add to the oven.
- When you've finished cooking the fish, scoop out any bits of batter floating in the pan or fryer.
- Return the chips back to the fryer and cook for 3 minutes until they are brown and crispy. When done, drain off the excess oil.
Serve while still hot and crispy. Sprinkle some salt and shake some vinegar on your fish and chips. ENJOY!.
© MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 530 mg
Total Carbohydrates 47 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.