Being part Italian I love those types of foods. You know, cheese, noodles, cheese, sauces, cheese. Some great Italian spices. Did I mention even 4 cheese blends? Pasta and antipasto are my comfort foods. Unfortunately, I am not supposed to have carbs or cheeses due to my cholesterol. I have been forced lately to find healthier alternatives to those ingredients. Well, I haven’t gotten to this one yet. This penne dish is on the top of my favorites list. It is easy to dish up being made in a casserole pan. And I don’t have to worry about waiting for it to firm up so it doesn’t slide all over. My grandma used to make this dish on Sunday when we visited. She didn’t eat meat, so this recipe has left it out. But feel free to add anything you like to your penne dish. It doesn’t hurt at all to add a bit of old fashioned comfort! Enjoy!
Easy Double Cheese Baked Penne
- 1 lb ground beef, optional
- 1 med Onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups Penne pasta, drained
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 24 oz chunky vegetable pasta sauce
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 Lge Egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 5-quart Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in cooked pasta, salt, pepper and pasta sauce.
- In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg and 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon half of pasta mixture (about 3 1/2 cups) into bottom of baking dish. Spoon ricotta mixture evenly over pasta mixture in baking dish. Top with remaining pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups cheese.
- Spray piece of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray. Cover baking dish with foil, sprayed side down. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Substitute turkey for ground beef.
Delete ground beef option completely.©MARILYN’S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.